First used as a detection point by the Forest Service when a 40' pole tower with L-4 cab was built in 1933, ownership was later transferred to the State of Washington. The present 40' timber tower with DNR live-in cab, built in 1966, had stood abandoned for several years. A private party purchased the tower in the mid-1990's and has a special use permit to leave it on site. Known lookout personnel: 1952: Robert Covage; 1953-1954: not staffed; 1955: Gladys Hill; 1956: Frank Cook; 1956-1958: Bettijane Rosenoff; 1960-1961: Barbara Allen; 1962: Bob Christensen.
Washington Dept. of Natural Resources
15 miles SE of Tonasket
Okanogan County, Washington
Elevation 6054'

Click for larger image
Tunk Mtn. in 1957 Tunk Mtn. in 2000
Photos courtesy the Fire Lookout Museum and Rex Kamstra