The summit was first used for fire detection in 1930, when a
platform tower and cabin were built. This was replaced by 50' pole tower w/ 7x7' cab in 1936. A standard 40' wooden tower with DNR live-in cab was built in 1959. The present 42' wooden tower with live-in
cab, built in 1983, was last staffed during the tinder-dry 1994 fire season. It offers incredible
views south across the Columbia Basin and Spokane, east to Montana, west to the Cascade Mountain
Range, and north into Canada. Listed on the National Historic Lookout Register, the tower was moved to the Northeast Washington Fairgrounds in Colville in 2008.
Known lookout personnel: 1957: Lora Allison; 1958-1959: Rosalie Egland.