A tree platform was used as the first lookout in 1925, replaced by the present 96' steel Aermotor tower and a ground house in 1933. The original cabin accidentally burned in 1966, with the garage converted into living quarters. The cabin is available on the Recreation Rental program. Known lookout personnel: 1931: C.B. Wilcox; 1933-1934: Clarence Bisbee; 1941: Lyle Eddy; 1944: Mrs. Vernon Cecil; 1945: Leonard Pate; 1952: Blayne Thompson, Art Scott (late season); 1956: George Porter; 1961: David Fortsrom; 1963: David Creswick; 1966: Dale Vance; 1964-1965 & 1967: Louis Larson; 1968: Dale Godwin; 1969: Jerry Healy.
Umatilla National Forest
12 miles WNW of Monument
Grant County, Oregon
Elevation 4979'

Click for larger image
Tamarack Mtn. L.O. Tamarack Mtn. living quarters
Photos courtesy of Rex Kamstra