First used as an observation point in 1919, a 16x16' cabin with 12x12' corner cupola was built the following year. A 14x20' guard cabin was added in 1922. The first cupola cabin was replaced by the present cupola cabin in 1930. Ownership and management of the lookout has changed hands 3 times over the years, first by the Klamath Indian Agency, followed by the Oregon Department of Forestry in 1960, then the Winema National Forest in the mid-1970s. It is listed on the National Historic Lookout Register and is staffed every summer.
Bureau of Indian Affairs/Winema National Forest
16 miles southeast of Chiloquin
Klamath County, Oregon
Elevation 6622'
USGS Benchmark NY0954
USGS Benchmark NY0956

Click for larger image
Calimus Butte in the 1920s Calimus Butte L.O.
Photos courtesy of Ron Kemnow and Howard Verschoor