|HARNEY (BLACK ELK) PEAK LOOKOUT|
Started in 1911 with an alidade, a 12x12' log cabin was added just below the summit in 1919. Then in 1920 a 12x12' wooden cab was constructed on the summit, then enlarged to 16x16' the following year. The present 3-story stone and wood tower, built over two years (1939-1940), was last staffed in 1967. The lookout is on the highest point in South Dakota and is listed on the National Historic Lookout Register. The summit was renamed Black Elk Peak in 2016.
|Black Hills National Forest|
|4 miles WSW of Mt. Rushmore National Monument|
|Pennington County, South Dakota|
|USGS Benchmark OT0810|
|USGS Benchmark OT0812|