Started in 1921 as a patrol point, the present L-2 cupola cabin was built in 1929. In 1939,
a 50' pole tower with L-4 cab was built. It was discontinued in 1947, and the tower fell down
in the 1960's. Then in 1977 the bottom 20' feet of the all-steel Packsaddle Tower was moved to
the summit and a 15x15' wooden live-in cab was built. Vandals damaged the tower in 2017, resulting in the wooden cab being removed.
The cupola cabin's exterior has been an ongoing preservation project, and is listed on the National
Historic Lookout Register.