GISBORNE MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT
The summit, previously named Looking Glass Mountain, was renamed in 1949 to honor the late Harry T. Gisborne, who did forest fire research on the surrounding Priest River Experimental Forest. The first structure was a 40' pole tower with L-4 cab, built in 1932. The present 41' treated timber tower with R-6 cab, built in 1958, is staffed in the summer. The tower is also on the National Historic Lookout Register.
Kaniksu National Forest
10 miles northwest of Sandpoint
Bonner County, Idaho
Elevation 5595'
USGS Benchmark TO1083
USGS Benchmark TO1084
Geocache

Click for larger image
Gisborne (Looking Glass) in 1938 Gisborne (Looking Glass) 1932-1958 Gisborne Mtn. in 1955 Gisborne Mtn. plaque Gisborne Mtn. in 1999
Photos courtesy the Fire Lookout Museum and Gary Weber